Delta Phi Alpha is committed to providing access and inclusion for study abroad opportunities to all students as we also see the ability to travel to the German-Speaking world as a key component of program excellence.
We encourage all German programs to eliminate barriers to access and inclusion for study abroad and join with us in supporting students financially in their education, which should include a meaningful study abroad experience in the German-speaking world.
For a copy of the 2019 Delta Phi Alpha Study Abroad Report, request a copy here and a pdf will be emailed to you immediately.
Delta Phi Alpha members* from active chapters are eligible to apply for the following scholarships (Application Instructions can be found on each page)
- Spring 2021 Essay Contest! Student members (Undergrad and Graduate students may select one topic and submit an essay written in German. Students inducted prior to March 15, 2021, are eligible to participate. Each topic has prizes of $300 and $100)
- Spring / Summer German Study Abroad Scholarship ($1500 & $500- Deadline for Application November 15)
- Fall / Winter German Study Abroad Scholarship ($1500 & $500- Deadline for Application March 15) OPEN NOW for 2021!
- Future K-12 German Teacher Award ($500 – Deadline for Application March 15) OPEN NOW for 2021!
- Graduate Study in German Scholarship: ($1000 – Deadline for Application March 15) OPEN NOW for 2021!
An active chapter has inducted at least 2 members within any two year period. Please consult with the chapter advisor to verify whether your chapter is currently active. Applications from inactive chapters cannot be considered.
*Note on Transfer Students: DPA Members who transfer to an institution with an active chapter are also eligible for scholarships! DPA members who transfer to an undergraduate institution without a DPA chapter are not eligible.
All questions about scholarships should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please follow the instructions carefully and pay particular attention to the deadlines for receipt of materials.
Delta Phi Alpha employs a scholarship committee for its selection of scholarship recipients. This committee is chaired by a Professor of German Studies who is not a member of the DPA board of directors. The chair employs two to 4 additional external readers of scholarship materials. Committee members must recuse themselves from voting if students from their current institution apply for scholarships.
Affiliated Scholarship: German American Business Circle of Pittsburgh. (Note: This scholarship is not organized by Delta Phi Alpha, but the GABC is affiliated with DPA given its Geographic Proximity. Students originally from Western PA are actively encouraged to apply)